Home

____________________

History

____________________

Historic Buildings

____________________

Historic District

____________________

Heritage Park - Union

____________________

B&M 1909 HO Layout

____________________

Newsletters

____________________

Events & Hours

____________________

Donations

____________________

Contact Us!

____________________

Links of Interest

____________________

THE WAKEFIELD HERITAGE COMMISSION



Welcomes you to the town of Wakfield, NH and it's Villages of:

East Wakefield, North Wakefield, Sanbornville, Wakefield Corner, and Union

Established in 1993, the Wakefield Heritage Commission has developed plans to restore areas of the community that reflect the importance of Wakefield in transportation, manufacturing, and farming. With the generous support of volunteers, financial donors, and grants, the first building constructed in the village of Sanbornville, the Garvin Building, was restored. Upon completion, the Wakefield Heritage Commission sold the Garvin Building. It remains a focal point and tribute to the history of the community.



HERITAGE PARK: The Village of Union

Using the proceeds from the sale of the Garvin Building, the Wakefield Heritage Commission purchased the Boston and Maine Railroad Station, and the adjacent Freight House property in Union, NH.

Again, with the help of volunteers and donors, the Union Station was restored and now houses a museum of historic artifacts in the Stationís Waiting Room and Station Masterís Office. The train order boards have been reinstalled, and are fully functional. The building has been restored to original appearence both inside and out. Heritage Park has become a reality.

Presently on display is a 1902 Russell Snow Plow on permanent loan. The Wakefield Heritage Commission has rehabilitated the Snow Plow and it is open to the public. Many Boston and Maine Railroad artifacts and photos are on display within the station.

Work continues on the property, as we restore the freight house adjacent to the station. The freight house will serve as a function hall, and house educational exhibits on railroad history in Wakefield, NH.









FRIEGHT HOUSE WELCOME CENTER: The Freight House is destined to become The Wakefield Heritage Centre, not only for Heritage Park, but for the entire community. In addition to providing information on the area, the Centre will house exhibits that document local history. Educational programs for all ages will be available.

RESTORATION HIGHLIGHT: The Highlight of the Freight House restoration will be an HO scale model replica of the 1909 era of the Boston & Maine Railroad. The replica will include buildings found along the train route through the villages of Union, Sanbornville, Wakefield Corner, East Wakefield (Burleyville Station), and North Wakefield (Mathews Station).

RIDING THE RAILS: You will follow the tracks of a state-of-the-art HO scale model railroad, depicting the Boston and Maine in 1909. Replica steam engines, freight cars, and passenger cars pass through the countryside where trackside and village structures reflect local early twentieth century life. The history of railroading comes alive at Heritage Park.







Above: 1912 Union Station Center: B&M 4-4-0 at Sanbornville Roundhouse Right: B&M Southbound Passenger train near dump.

Click here for our latest newsletter! here.




Progress on the layout continues!


May 9th, 2012 receiving the Preservation Achievement Award for outstanding planning, education, and advocacy by the NH Preservation Alliance.ó at Concord, NH.

NH Preservation Alliance Award Click to Read



Contact us at: wakefieldheritage@yahoo.com

Wakefield Heritage Commission

2 High Street

Sanbornville, NH 03872

(603)-998-0860






Current Wakefield Forecast
Click for Wakefield, NH forecast
last site update

July, 4, 2014

You are visitor number

web counter


Copyright 2012 Wakefield Heritage Commission